DetailsUnderstanding the role of attorneys* in working with the Superintendent and with the Board.
• Increasing the knowledge of mandatory reports, search and seizure, and sexual harassment; superintendent's contract; some 1st Amendment "Rules of Thumb"; employee dismissal procedures and progressive discipline; use of technology and surviving the superintendency from a district counsel's perspective; conflict of interest; Human Resources.
• Obtaining a better understanding of the application of the above key topics to the day-to-day districoperation
• Increasing knowledge of recent supreme court cases related to education; i.e., testing, promotion and retention, sexual harassment, Williams, managing the district/attorney relationship*.
• Identifying strategies for managing legal counsl*.
• Understanding the impact of the digital electronic age.
Increasing awareness of conflict of interest.
• Understanding independent and dependent charter school law.
• Understanding the implications of working with charter school
Major themes in this presentation include:
• Board attorney (District's counsel)
• Brown Act
• Conflicts of interest
• Charter schools
• Superintendent's contract from Board perspective
• Have participants generate a list of hot topics for inclusion in this session.