Episode 57 State Board of Education Considers First Charter School Petition Appeals Post AB-1505
As discussed in Episode 56, there were three pending charter school petition appeals to the State Board of Education (SBE) following denial by the respective LEAs. These were the first three charter petition appeals subject to the new appeal processes since Assembly Bill 1505 became effective in 2020. In this Lozano Smith Podcast episode, host Sloan Simmons engages with Megan Macy and Courtney de Groof to follow-up and discuss the outcomes of these petition appeals and what to anticipate going forward.
Show Notes & References
- 1:51 – AB 1505 and appeals to the State Board of Education (SBE)
- 3:39 – Standards of review
- 4:50 – Recent local educational agency (LEA) appeals
- 7:23 – Advisory Committee on Charter Schools (ACCS)
- 9:08 – Summary denial process
- 9:59 – Fiscal impact basis of denial (Education code section 47605(c)(8))
- 11:41 – Fiscal Crisis & Management Assistance Team (FCMAT)
- 13:00 – Procedural issues related to public hearings
- 14:31 – Community interest standard of denial (Education code section 47605(c)(7))
- 16:39 – Determining charter authorizers
- 19:01 – Appeals going forward
As the information contained herein is necessarily general, its application to a particular set of facts and circumstances may vary. For this reason, this News Brief does not constitute legal advice. We recommend that you consult with your counsel prior to acting on the information contained herein.