The 7 Things Every Elected Board or Council Member Should Know
Host Devon Lincoln talks with Lozano Smith partners Mary Lerner and Anne Collins, co-chairs of the firm's Governance Practice Group, about the basics that every newly elected member of a local agency governing body should know when assuming office. This podcast isn't just for newly electeds - it's full of information for public officials, local agency staff, and members of the voting public too.
Show Notes & References
- 8:00 The Brown Act
- 15:20 The Public Records Act
- 16:25 City of San Jose v. Superior Court (2017) 2 Cal.5th 608
- 18:42 The Political Reform Act (Government Code section 87100 et seq.)
- 19:19 Statement of Economic Interests (Form 700)
- 19:24 Podcast: Episode 16: It's Time to Fill Out Your Form 700!
- 20:48 Government Code section 1090
- 24:09 Video: Staying Under the Umbrella: Board Members' Obligations and Immunities
- 30:05 Ethics training (AB 1234)
- 30:08 Sexual Harassment training
- 30:32 Lozano Smith Client Services (ClientServices@lozanosmith.com)
As the information contained herein is necessarily general, its application to a particular set of facts and circumstances may vary. For this reason, this News Brief does not constitute legal advice. We recommend that you consult with your counsel prior to acting on the information contained herein.