Episode 54 Best Practices in Managing Disruptions at School Board Meetings
Managing school board meetings in the face of disruption created by parents, employees, and members of the public can be challenging. This podcast will explore best practices to regulate this disruption and create rules and de-escalation techniques to ensure an orderly meeting. To explore this timely topic, co-host Joshua Whiteside introduces a discussion on point between local governance experts and Lozano Smith partners, Roman Muñoz from the Sacramento office and Chelsea Olson Murphy from the San Luis Obispo office.
Show Notes & References
- 3:51- Current landscape
- 6:42- Problematic behaviors
- 8:52- Proactive steps for districts
- 19:26- Best practices for school board meetings
- 19:46- Lozano Smith Resource: "Best Practices for Maintaining Decorum and Order at School"
- 24:00- De-escalation techniques
- 25:46- Progression of response
- 29:19- End response options - clearing the room and adjourning
- 33:32- Clearing the room (Government Code section 54957.9)
- 37:57- Major takeaways
As the information contained herein is necessarily general, its application to a particular set of facts and circumstances may vary. For this reason, this News Brief does not constitute legal advice. We recommend that you consult with your counsel prior to acting on the information contained herein.