Episode 46 California's "Reopening" and the Future of Public Meetings Under the Brown Act
With the easing of COVID-19 restrictions and California's "reopening," host Sloan Simmons has a timely discussion with Lozano Smith Governance Co-Practice Group Leader, Anne Collins and Lozano Smith Technology and Innovation Practice Group Leader Travis Cochran regarding the state of the law and future of public meetings under the Brown Act in light of pending legislation that would continue flexibility for remote participation by local officials and the public.
Show Notes & References
- 3:19 - The Brown Act & board member telephonic/virtual participation (Government Code section 54953(b))
- 6:06 - California Executive Order 3-17-20 (March 2020)
- 10:16 - California Executive Order N-08-21 (June 2021)
- 11:32 - Masks at public meetings
- 15:25 - Meeting posting requirements
- 16:16 - Pending Assembly Bill (AB) 361
- 18:24 - Pending AB 339
- 25:11 - Public comment and participation during virtual board meetings
- 35:05 - Virtual technology issues
- 38:55 - Hybrid board meetings and flexible participation
- 45:46 - Update: California Department of Public Health Face Coverings Q&A Guidance (June 15, 2021)
As the information contained herein is necessarily general, its application to a particular set of facts and circumstances may vary. For this reason, this News Brief does not constitute legal advice. We recommend that you consult with your counsel prior to acting on the information contained herein.