At Lozano Smith, diversity is the start. Inclusion is the finish. When diversity and inclusion are achieved, equity is the result.
The strength and quality of our firm has always been directly attributable to the inclusion and diversity of our entire team – people who look, speak, think, believe, and move differently than one another, but share a common purpose: providing exceptional legal services to our clients. Together, we recognize our work is about people in the diverse communities our clients serve, and we have always done our best work when the people in our firm represent the communities we serve.
Alongside our employees, the Firm’s Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Working Group and Organizational Learning Committee (OLC), remains devoted to building upon this foundational mindset and sustaining positive momentum. Our unmatched culture continues to be a direct reflection of our Lozano Smith team - a place where people can personally and professionally thrive and grow, experience equality of opportunity, be fulfilled by the work they do on behalf of our public agency clients, and feel connected and proud to be an integral part of our Lozano Smith.
DEI - Strength in Numbers
Lozano Smith has consistently ranked in the top three in Law 360’s nationwide rankings since 2020. As a measurement of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, Lozano Smith ranked 1st overall in Law 360’s 2022 Glass Ceiling Report, a data-driven review of female attorney representation at law firms, and 3rd overall in the 2022 Diversity Snapshot. These rankings reflect the 101-250 attorney category.
In 2022, Lozano Smith topped Law 360’s nationwide rankings, including:
- 1st in diversity amongst its equity partnership
- 1st in gender equity amongst its nonequity partnership
- Top 5 throughout several other diversity and equity categories
- 43% of Employees are People of Color
- 50% of New Hires are People of Color*
- 51% of Associates are People of Color
- 52% of Practice Leaders are Women
- 67% of Employees are Women
- 74% of New Hires are Women*
*Within the past year
Spotlight on Culture
As a law firm, we have a rather unique culture. You won't find it framed and hung on the wall in the front lobby of our offices, but everybody knows we have a "No Jerks" rule. Simply put, we enjoy each other's company. We like to have fun together, in the office and in the field. We enjoy our work, and equally important, who we work for. It goes a long way in our quest for superior client service.
Following are a few ways we ensure our team is equipped, involved and inspired.
- Mentoring Program
- New Hire Integration Teams
- Onboarding Program
- Wellness Offerings and Employee Assistance Program
- Child-Friendly Business Award Winner
- No Jerks Rule
- Blue Hat Project: Community Engagement Program
- Pride Celebrations
- Fun Activities Committees
- Law Clerk Program
- Annual Legal Staff Training
- Leadership Trainings
- Monthly Practice Group Meetings
- Practice Group Leadership Opportunities
- Internal and External Professional Development
- Community and Association Partnerships
Professional Advancement and Development
Once here, our commitment is that all employees be given: (1) the opportunity to do meaningful, impactful work; (2) contemporaneous feedback on their work and skills; and (3) the support needed to grow.
As they develop professionally, it is critical that our attorneys have opportunities to (1) take on internal leadership roles and advance in the firm; and (2) build relationships with existing clients and develop new clients. Our efforts in this area include:
- Providing meaningful work and client interaction opportunities for all attorneys.
- Teaching and learning both “hard” and “soft” skills essential to serving clients and managing a law practice.
- Coaching and Mentorship.
- Annual evaluation based on consistent, transparent criteria.
Our doors are open to anyone with the skills, desire, commitment and team-spirit to strive for the highest level of client service. Through our firm-wide initiatives, Lozano Smith actively seeks to recruit and on-board a diverse team. If you want to make a difference every day at a place that welcomes and respects your difference, talk with us.
Legal Staff Training: Lozano Smith attorneys from across the State gather for an annual 2-day professional development training.