DetailsSince an effective investigation can prevent costly litigation and liability, Lozano Smith has developed a comprehensive Investigations Toolkit and Workshop designed to walk participants through what a solid investigation looks like and best practices for moving forward with employee and student investigations. The next stop is Southern California!
Questions to Consider
- Are you confident in the processes and investigations of complaints?
- Are you aware of all the laws that regulate complaints?
- What steps can your administration take to strengthen the case for discipline resulting from investigations?
- Are your reports legally defensible?
Workshop - What Should We Expect?This team-centered, 4-hour workshop is geared towards school district administrators, human resources personnel, principals and others who may be involved in investigating student and employee complaints. The workshop will provide the nuts and bolts of investigation protocols involving students, employees, and members of the public. Topics covered will include:
- What to do when initially receiving a complaint
- When a complaint must be investigated
- Board Policies and Administrative Regulations governing the complaint investigation process
- Comparisons of procedures for Uniform Complaints, Williams Complaints and other general complaints
- When and how to place an employee on paid administrative leave
- How to initiate an investigation
- Options for selecting an investigator
- Confidentiality of investigative materials
- Best practices for working with an outside investigator
- Selection of witnesses/interviewees, methods of questioning, and addressing sensitive topics with interviewees
- Parent involvement in student interviews
- Right to union representation during investigative interviews
- Rules for searching both student and employee electronic devices
- Search protocols
- Documenting the investigation
- Concluding the investigation in writing to complainants, accused parties and others
Work Product and ResourcesParticipants will gain access to in-depth training and reference materials that can be used when an investigation is conducted. This workshop includes a workbook with checklists and protocols for investigation best practices, and template documents for initiating investigations, documenting investigation interviews, and concluding investigations. Examples include:
- Confidential Investigation Report
- Sample Letter of Findings to Complaint (UCP)
- Sample Letter of Findings to Complainant Regarding Complaint Against District Employee
- Sample Letter for Placement on Paid Administrative Leave
- Sample Letter for Complaint Procedures Letter - Notice of Investigation
Cost$225 per person
$195 per person (3 or more)
Includes lunch and access to checklists, protocols and template documents.
Who Should AttendAdministrators, Human Resources and Student Services Personnel, Principals and staff involved in investigations
This event is reserved for school district or public agency employees only. Please contact Client Services for more information.